New Vehicle Tax Rates 201716/02/2017
From the 1st April 2017, newly registered cars will be taxed differently.
Vehicle tax for the first year will be based on the CO2 emissions. After this, the amount of tax that needs to be paid annually depends on the type of vehicle. The rates are as follows:
- £140 a year for petrol or diesel vehicles
- £130 a year for alternative fuel vehicles (hybrids, bioethanol and LPG)
- No charge for vehicles with zero CO2 emissions
New vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
- If a vehicle has a list price (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000, the rate of tax is based on CO2 for the first year.
- After the first year, the rate depends on the type of vehicle (petrol, diesel, alternative fuel or zero emissions) and an additional rate of £310 a year for the next 5 years.
- After those 5 years, the vehicle will then be taxed at the standard rate (£140, £130, or £0).